When this electric pole (see image) was cut down, it exploded into a hundred pieces when it hit the ground. This was for a private overhead service along a roadway to remote buildings and was replaced with an underground service. It was obvious the pole was very old, but one would never guess it was so hollow, unless you tapped it with a hammer. And that could have been a mistake if the lines were still energized. The overhead lines may have been holding the pole up. This was the worst of the worst electric poles we have seen in 40 years. And no there were no 4 legged critters living in the pole. Just bugs, now homeless.